Thursday, March 3, 2011

FOOD: Ma...the MEATLOAF!

Who doesn't love Mom's meatloaf!? There's nothing like traditional comfort food to warm you up in the last few weeks of the frigid winter. But no matter how good Mom's meatloaf tastes, it is most likely heavy and fatty...not too comforting.  

This recipe, courtesy of the wonderful Giada De Laurentiis, is a lighter yet much more flavorful version of mom's meatloaf (SORRY MOM!) Firstly, it's made with ground turkey, which is considerably lower in fat than traditional beef/pork blends. Next, sun-dried tomatoes and salty feta cheese add a powerful and savory punch of flavor. 

There are a few alterations I've made to the original recipe, which are *starred* below. Also, I doubled this recipe and made a free form loaf on a baking pan (yes, I really like this meatloaf!) - it's up to you if you'd like to use a loaf pan or make a free form loaf. 

I make this turkey meatloaf all the time and really recommend it - it's very easy and makes great leftovers.


SUNDRIED TOMATO and FETA TURKEY MEATLOAF

Ingredients

  • Vegetable cooking spray
  • 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/4 cup chopped garlic and herb-marinated sun-dried tomatoes
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced, optional
  • 2 eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons whole milk* 
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese**
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • one small onion, chopped***
* I used skim milk
** I used light feta (via Trader Joe's)
*** I added the onion...simply because...I love onion!

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Coat a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.




Combine the bread crumbs, parsley, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, if using, eggs, milk, feta, onion, salt, and pepper. Add the turkey and gently stir to combine - do not overwork the meat.
Carefully pack the meat mixture into the prepared pan and bake until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and slice. Put on a serving platter and serve.



(Just like I do with my banana bread, I slice the meatloaf into individual portions and freeze them so that I have a quick grab and go lunch!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment