Sunday, March 20, 2011

FOOD: How about some hash?

Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Apple Hash

A friend recommended this recipe to me and I have been slightly obsessed ever since. As you can tell from my previous posts, I love comfort food – nothing makes me happier than a belly full of it. This is definitely one of those comforting dishes. It is so incredibly flavorful but the recipe is so simple and quick. I’m going to make it as many times as possible until the warm weather is here to stay!


The original recipe came from the famous and spunky Anne Burrell, but I have made a few modifications to suit my tastes and diet. First, I substituted regular bacon for turkey bacon in order to make the recipe lower in fat. Next, I omitted the scallion and used an extra large onion because I love onion. Lastly, I also omitted pepitas because I just didn’t think the recipe needed them.

See the original recipe here.

INGREDIENTS



     . 2 garnet yams, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
     . Extra-virgin olive oil
     . salt
     . 4 to 6 slices thick cut bacon, cut into small pieces
     . 1 large onion, diced
     . 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced






DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Toss the diced sweet potatoes in the olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Make sure the potatoes are coated evenly and arrange them on a baking sheet. Roast the sweet potatoes until they are tender, approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the potatoes from the oven and set aside.


Coat a large saute pan with olive oil. Cook the bacon over medium head and when the bacon has started to brown, add the onions, season with salt and saute until the onions are very soft. Add the apples and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the sweet potatoes, and saute until the sweet potatoes are cooked through and starting to become crispy, about 7 to 8 minutes.






After I finished cooking everything, I mashed it all together slightly…just enough to break down some of the potato cubes, because I prefer this consistency better. You don’t have to do this though, whatever you prefer is fine.


Transfer to a dish, serve, and try not to inhale the whole dish enjoy!

YUM, this dish is so good it almost makes me want the cold weather to last a little bit longer…

ALMOST


0 comments:

Post a Comment